Pacheco Community aims to be an open place to exchange ideas, to learn, inspire, and to build the community leadership we need for tomorrow’s world.
The mission: Empower young people from the surrounding area with the skills to be able to have a job, gain confidence and grow surrounded by a communitarian way of living.
Our philosophy: We believe that by creating more community experiences, we empower people, youth especially, so they can build their own future and have a better life. In that way, we work toward local development and try to reach sustainability in its three dimensions: environmental, social and economic.
- Empower yourself and others working inside a community-based NGO in Buenos Aires.
- Learn and practice about agroecology. Enjoy working on gardening, landscaping, community development, international development & NGO management
What can you learn as a volunteer?
Volunteers will be able to learn about many topics and maximize what they learn before by helping us to maintain the garden and grounds. Volunteers with previous specific knowledge can prepare workshops or develop specific tasks. Volunteers will enhance their knowledge in practice, helping in the tasks of daily maintenance of the garden, in the organization of community space with the armed schedule, lists of participants’ management and administration tasks of space.
Why is this program important for the community?
The members of the community we work with are families that work hard every day to better their financial situation.
Many of the young people from the surrounding neighborhoods have not been able to finish their basic studies and therefore can only dream of going to university. The Pacheco Community Center gives them the opportunity to learn a practical trade, work in a team and be prepare for labor market integration.
We focus on training. We help young people build new capacities. Not only can they learn about gardening, landscaping and begin an immersion in agroecology philosophy, but also the Pacheco Community Center has a greenhouse for the students to plant fruits and vegetables, which they will be able to sell and generate their own income.
Role of the Volunteer
The volunteers that come from different parts of the world to exchange knowledge and experience and to work alongside the community members create a mutual spirit of solidarity.
- Learn by helping in practical classes with youth to maintain the garden and grounds.
- Help watering during 20 minutes in the mornings outside the greenhouse if the weather is too dry.
- Help teachers to prepare didactic material for theoretical classes (like diagrams, pictures, boards)
- Help social coordinators to manage the organization of community space with the armed schedule, lists of participants’ management and administration tasks of space.
- Help preparing and attending breakfast or afternoon snack (according daily schedule) for youth.
- Help preparing special monthly workshops: Open day to the community when families and friends share and afternoon with talks, games and relaxing time.