This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the leading international banks in an Engineering and Core Components team. We manage one of the largest and most complex distributed computing environments in the investment banking industry, providing a sophisticated high-quality service.
You will have the opportunity to work with and learn from subject matter experts in distributed systems and be involved with cutting edge technologies in the field, including exposure to Docker/containerization, microservice design and development, sophisticated devops workflows and enterprise adoption of the public cloud.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
- Maintain and Develop code: the team owns software components enhancing and extending the functionality of the grid and providing visualization, automation and support to various teams. The HPC Engineering team is responsible for defining, developing and deploying these components. Due to the business critical nature of HPC operations, there is a strong focus on bullet-proof coding, test driven development and attention to detail.
- Consultancy: work with client development teams to assist with on-boarding applications to the grid, with performance enhancements and analysis of grid configuration issues. Act as subject matter expert and represent HPC's interest in various development forums.
- Third line support: working with the L2 team, undertake deeper or more complex investigations into grid issues. This will involve developing a deep understanding of the details of grid software, the associated comprehensive management technologies providing automated grid management, inventory and software deployment.
- Software updates and patching: regularly package and test vendor applications to address tech debt and obsolescence within the firm.
- Java 8 EE - SpringBoot, Maven, Tomcat
- Python - Django/Django Rest Framework
- Docker/Containerisation - Kubernetes, Openshift, DockerSwarm, etc.
- Chef, Ansible, ELK (Elastic Stack)
- Linux (ideally RHEL) - Bash, RPM build
- Windows Server - Powershell, MSI build
- TCP/IP stack knowledge and debugging (C10k)
- Strong Object Oriented background with SOLID principles with personal interest and drive to explore new open source technologies
- Experience in developing Microservices and API design (RAML)
- Knowledge of enterprise level messaging, authentication and encryption techniques
- Experience with development Tools including source control (GIT), Continuous Integration (TeamCity), Testing frameworks (Sonar) & techniques
- Experience in working with RDBMS technologies including Oracle, MSSQL, MariaDB including development experience in PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, SQL/PSM
- Good English communication (verbal and written) and strong organization skills
- Excellent working experience in Agile methodologies and ideally in Financial sector.
- Excellent analytical skills and an appetite for problem-solving and delivery.
- Excellent problem solving skills, able to shift priorities quickly
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and deliver results.
- A proactive, self-starter, who is can be relied upon to act on initiative.
- Can do attitude - willingness to roll-up the sleeves in order to get things done.
- Collaborative style with ability to quickly build trust/credibility.
- Computer Science/Engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- Technically versatile and able to work on pure software projects as well as deal with infrastructure technologies such as DNS, message bus and data caching/big data products
- High standards - grid stability demands attention to detail, defining and adhering to strict standards and delivering top quality solutions