Junior Software Engineer
Role: Our client is is one of the leading providers of Financial Services in Ireland.
They are currently looking for a Junior Software Engineer to join their IT department.
As part of their IT team you will be responsible for documenting, configuring and supporting their client's key Insurance applications.
This role is a multi discipline role working across the development life cycle, including system ownership activities and software development activities.
Your areas of responsibility include:
* System ownership: supporting architectural design; availability, reliability, performance, monitoring and security of systems. Additional responsibilities include overall health monitoring and regular systems maintenance tasks, making use of automation wherever possible.
* Software Development: contributing to the creation and support of IT systems for the Insurance domain.
* Work cross functionally in the best interests of the customer experience.
* Leverage internal technical expertise, including peers, mentors, knowledge base, community forums and other internal tools, to provide the most effective solutions to customer issues.
* Our client has high standards for their computer systems as well as their employees: their systems are secure, reliable, and available; their employees are driven, customer focused, and engaged.
System ownership activities
* Monitor daily operations, providing maintenance and remediation of system issues.
* Deliver ongoing service improvement
* Support in evaluating system architectural design, transaction flow, data flow, volume, system capacity, response time, database transactions, file transmissions, message handling, high availability characteristics and risks, reviewing and maintaining system logs; and recommending changes to improve operational characteristics, reduce mean time to repair, increase mean time to failure, reduce risk, cost, and customer impact.
Software development activities:
* Actively contributing in the creation and maintenance of IT systems for the insurance domain by:
* Defining business requirements, contributing in the functional and technical design, technical design, active role in test preparation and test execution of new deliveries, deployment of new releases
* Work with vendors and application support teams to understand, prepare and deploy new applications and changes to applications
* Provide technical support for OS, Middleware and Application components to ensure readiness, performance, resources, and security needs are met.
* Perform systems design, installation, configuration and provisioning tasks.
* Demonstrates PEARL behaviours on a consistent basis
* Supports departmental strategy and its implantation whilst providing input based on area of expertise.
* Linux, Oracle, T24, iGas, Connectus, Java Middleware, angular
* 2+ years' experience within a similar role
* Experience of supporting Unix/Linux systems in a multi OS environment.
* Experience of application configuration, programming and/or Scripting.
* Experience with requirements definition.
* Demonstrated ability to prioritise tasks, especially when faced with a large number of support calls, tasks, etc.
* Demonstrate ability to plan, schedule, and coordinate work, and able to maintain high levels of confidentiality and professionalism as well as have strong organizational, communicative and interpersonal skills with each business area.
* Strong multi tasking and organizational skills, ability to function in ambiguous and/or time sensitive situations.
* A dynamic, flexible person, you must be a good communicator with strong inter personal skills and possess the ability to deal with a fast paced environment and embrace change. A logical and organised approach to continuous improvement is essential.
* Be willing to learn new IT skills.
* The candidate will be a pro active, analytical self starter, confident in your decision making abilities. A positive attitude to taking on new and challenging IT tasks.
* Strong communication skills with the ability to deal with all levels in a confident and professional manner.
* Experience developing presentations and presenting to management, stakeholders and other internal groups.
* Incident management, troubleshooting, problem resolution, and root cause analysis.
* Displays attention to detail even when under pressure.
Nice to Have(s):
* Financial - insurance services experience
* High level orchestration knowledge and an appreciation of systems architecture and the API landscape
* Strong level of English - written and spoken
Reference No.: 917994FK
Role: Junior Software Engineer
Location: Co. Dublin
Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Permanent