Posted in: Other in Baltimore | Posted: |
OVERVIEW: Under the general direction of the Dean, this position will be responsible for providing academic advising of undergraduate students in the Pre-Health Professions Pathways interested in completing the RN to BSN articulation and dual -enrollment programs.
* Provides academic advising of undergraduate students in the PTECH nursing pathway for completion in the BCCC nursing program
* Provides academic advising regarding all relevant curriculum areas- course requirements and selection, policies and procedures, scholastic standards, new freshman and transfer issues, as appropriate for students enrolled in the PTECH nursing pathway
* Facilitates PTECH nursing students' academic progress by assessing their needs and developing appropriate educational plans
* Maintains student academic files to demonstrate academic progression metrics. The tracking activities include documentation of each PTECH student advising meeting sessions; electronic monitoring; enrollment, progression and graduation metrics and utilization of Gap analysis.
* Assists in the development and preparation of advising/educational materials in collaboration with the BCCC Nursing faculty and Marketing Department. The educational materials may include training manuals, brochures, handouts, general information summaries, and newsletters
* Collaborates with BCCC Nursing faculty, the Admissions and Student Affairs Division and Marketing Department to conduct information sessions and distribute educational/multimedia marketing materials regarding the PTECH nursing pathway top potential, current students, and other interested parties
* Maintains, collects and disseminates information to students, faculty and departments regarding advising strategies for academic strategies and academic support services.
* Participates in professional development activities, professional conferences, BCCC departmental meetings and advisory meetings
* Collaborate with BCCC Associate Dean, BCCC Nursing to develop faculty mentoring program; identify BCCC nursing faculty mentors to participate in this program.
* Collaborate with UNSON and BCCC to design and implement a marketing campaign to attract middle school students to PTECH programs at BCCC
* Perform other additional duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of group dynamics and student behavior
* Knowledge of a variety of teaching techniques
* Ability to teach and advise in a classroom lab setting
* Ability to assess educational needs and develop advisement plans
* Ability to interpret test data
* Ability to set educational goals and to define specific objectives
This position typically works indoors in a standard classroom/lab environment, generally free from hazardous or unpleasant physical conditions. Work involves observance of safety precautions typical of modern classroom/lab settings. The work environment is highly diverse and demands a high level of cultural competence in interpersonal communications and interactions.
The work entails sitting and standing for extended periods, frequent walking, bending, stooping, and reaching. Work requires eye-hand coordination, manual dexterity, near vision acuity, and the ability to see and read printed material and computer screens. Duties involve oral, written, electronic and telephonic communication; typing; and lifting and transporting supplies, materials and equipment.
* Bachelor's Degree in counseling or related field
* Minimum of 1 year experience in academic advising or counseling
* Experience in an institution of Higher Education
* Experience with Canvas or other LMS
* Experience in outcomes assessment
* Experience designing marketing and education materials
* Experience in public speaking in an institution to students directly and in groups
* Experience in advising students pursuing health professions careers