Posted in: Telecommunications in New York | Posted: |
SEARCH is the largest archaeology and cultural resources management company in the world, and SEARCH2O is the largest underwater archaeology program. Focusing in mega infrastructure projects and emergency response on land and water, SEARCH delivers high-capacity cultural resource services directly to every region in the United States and globally. Since 1993, SEARCH has completed more than 3,500 projects across 44 US States and 37 countries spanning five continents and three oceans. SEARCH specializes in the full spectrum of cultural services related to Archaeology, Maritime Archaeology, Architectural History, History, Archives, Collections Management, Museum Services, GIS, Documentary Media, and Public Affairs.
A Technical Editor coordinates with project teams to complete all activities related to the preparation and delivery of highly technical documents of all sizes ranging from 1-page letters to 1,000-page reports. This position entails proofreading, editing, and formatting reports in Microsoft Word to be compiled with forms, Excel spreadsheets, figures, and file types in Adobe Acrobat. Printing, collating, binding, and shipping reports is also a required job function. The job requires superior command of the English language, Word and Acrobat skills to facilitate document preparation, quality assurance, layout/formatting, printing, and binding.
Essential Duties and Functions
* Format technical reports by applying the proper styles in Word and Acrobat, incorporate SEARCH layout preferences, and apply special client formats and other report requirements.
* Proofread and edit reports containing text, tables, maps/graphics, and appendixes for correctness, completeness, organization, clarity, consistency, grammar, and conformity with SEARCH style guidelines and client requirements.
* Use Microsoft Word functions to generate tables of contents, lists of figures, and lists of tables.
* Compile Word documents into PDF documents using Acrobat, adding bookmarks and headers/footers as necessary.
* Work efficiently on multiple assignments that are timeline driven while maintaining an appropriate level of quality.
* Collaborate with the editorial team to ensure consistency of SEARCH style and to meet deadlines.
* Perform document production tasks such as printing and binding reports, burning CDs, and preparing packages for submission to clients, stakeholders, and other agencies.
* Other duties, as assigned.
* A bachelors degree in English, technical writing, communications, or a related discipline;
* At least three (3) years of relevant experience;
* Command of Microsoft Word, especially using Track Changes and Styles functions, and automation of TOC, lists of figures, and lists of tables;
* Experience creating complex PDF files with bookmarks using Adobe Acrobat;
* Critical thinking skills and impeccable attention to detail;
* Experience with adhering to a style guide;
* Ability to work well in a team environment;
* Ability to work with remote teams across several time zones; and
* Ability to take and provide constructive feedback.
* Experience with Office 365 programs and collaborative editing platforms such as Microsoft SharePoint;
* Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and ability to create graphics such as covers, flow charts, and organizational charts;
* Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style; and
* Understanding of the Cultural Resource Management (CRM) industry and familiarity with consulting documents and ability to proofread archaeological/scientific terms and acronyms.
* Cover letter
* Minimum of three (3) professional references
* Work samples (a demonstration of experience with key requirements)
* Include the job posting code (PCE-2020) in the subject line of your email
* Send all inquiries and additional application materials to:
Other Important Need-to-Know Information
* This position can be based in either the Gainesville or Orlando SEARCH offices.
* Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the United States.
* Applicants must have reliable transportation.
* This position requires a flexible schedule with availability outside of standard working hours.
* SEARCH offers a competitive total compensation package with strong health and wellness and retirement plans.
* Pay is commensurate with education and experience.
* SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
* SEARCH is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
* SEARCH is an Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.
* Employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory verification of criminal, education, driving, and/or employment background checks as well as passing results from a pre-employment drug screen.
For more information about SEARCH, please visit [ and follow us on Facebook [ Instagram [ and LinkedIn [
* Competitive Salary
* Per Diem (for overnight travel)
* SEARCH-subsidized Group Health Insurance (including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage)
* SEARCH-provided Short-Term Disability Insurance
* SEARCH-provided Long-Term Disability Insurance
* SEARCH-provided Group Term Life Insurance
* Voluntary Life Insurance
* Employee Assistance Program
* Emergency Travel Assistance
* Generous 401(k) Retirement Plan
* Paid Holidays (10)
* Paid Time Off (PTO)
* Merit-Based Raises, Bonuses, and Promotions