Posted in: Engineering in Arlington | Posted: |
The Sensors Division focuses on technology development for advanced sensor systems, particularly in the areas of airborne/surface-based radar, electronic warfare, underwater acoustics, hyperspectral imaging and EO/IR sensing. Within this role, we perform work at full system prototypes, experiment campaigns and technology component development. Particular development roles within the Sensors Division include RF analog/digital hardware, acoustic hardware, signal processing algorithms, machine learning algorithms, tracking/fusion, as well as real-time embedded processor implementation.
STR is hiring a Sensor Systems Engineer who will work with a team to perform advanced system and algorithm development using established systems engineering approaches. Based on detailed trade studies and requirements analysis, our Sensor Systems Engineer will develop modern solutions to satisfy current system requirements as well as future challenges and perform functions involved in all aspects of design.
* Investigating new algorithms for the advancement of signal processing and sensor design
* Developing simulations of algorithms and systems for design verification or to enable operational software development
* Designing sensor modes that maximize sensor performance
* Development of advanced RF hardware systems (radar, SIGINT, communications)
* Research new RF sensing and processing concepts
* Develop RF hardware models (system level, component level)
* Work with measured RF sensor data to develop system models and conduct performance analyses for the purposes of design trades
* Develop RF propagation and scattering models
* US citizenship
* Ability to obtain a security clearance
* MS or BS degree in electrical engineering, physics, applied mathematics or related technical discipline
* Strong scientific programming skills including Matlab, Simulink and/or C/C++
* Relevant experience designing, integrating and testing RF sensor and/or communication systems
* PhD degree in related technical discipline
* Familiarity with RF component technology and performance characteristics
* Ability to translate customer requirements to determine research focus
* Strong communication skills and the ability to describe complex technical concepts to fellow researchers as well as to non-technical people
* Active Security Clearance at the Secret or Top Secret (TS) level
Systems & Technology Research (STR) is a rapidly growing technology company with locations north of Boston, MA, Arlington, VA and near Dayton, OH. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
We're not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe!
STR is fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at and provide your name, phone number and email address.
US Citizenship is required for all positions.