The Save Mart Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers in California and Nevada. It is home to a number of well-known brands in food retailing. You might have seen our banners that include Save Mart, Lucky, Lucky California and Food Maxx. We also have 4 distribution centers and SMART Refrigerated Transport, a trucking firm that transports dry groceries, frozen foods, ice and novelties to all of The Save Mart Companies stores. We are a locally and family owned business, headquartered in the heart of one of the greatest agricultural areas of our nation - the San Joaquin Valley.
The Modesto community is vibrant with great traditions, educational opportunities and multi-cultural lifestyles. Aside from mild weather year-round, Modesto allows for easy access to many major tourist attractions in California. To the west lies the San Francisco Bay Area (90-miles) and the Santa Cruz Beach (115-miles). To the east is the famed Gold Country Mother Lode (50-miles) and a little farther you can find the majestic Sierra Nevada mountain range, Lake Tahoe (180-miles) and Yosemite National Park (110-miles).
Some of our competitive benefits include: exceptionally generous benefits package (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K), flexible schedule options, Employee Connection (earn fun and valuable prizes!), Life Long Learning - Educational opportunities, Employee Association (discounted and free tuition options, contests, and support services).
We are currently recruiting for the position of:
The Accountant provides analysis while performing accounting functions and reporting in a fast paced, deadline oriented environment. The position works independently exercising both problem solving and resolution skill sets. The position maintains records of financial transactions by establishing accounts, preparing journal entries, balancing ledgers, reconciling accounts, preparing reports, and analyzing a large volume of financial data/transactions.
This position ensures that all work and processes are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and enables executives to make sound business decisions by interpreting financial information.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Analysis of various operational financial statements including, but not limited to: stores, cost centers, distribution centers, transportation facilities to ensure accuracy
- Analyze consolidated financial results and balances as assigned
- Responsible for ensuring timely and accurate processing of all vendor maintenance within the company's financial management ERP; maintains, audits and validates data to achieve data integrity and ensure that appropriate internal controls and processes are in place that meet all internal and external audit requirements
- Maintains the chart of accounts utilizing the company's financial management system
- Ensures that all locations business taxes and licenses are current, computing any monies due and processing for payment to include ensuring that the company is in compliance with Federal, State, and Local legislative requirements as well as any legal requirements as defined by General Counsel
- Performs cost-of-sales computations, gross profit margins, and ensures the accurate recording of inventory.
- Collaborates with business units on the physical inventory processes to ensure that best practices are being followed.
- Analysis of unidentified shrink to include identifying the root cause of the reported loss as well as working with business owners to propose/implement solutions
- Prepare annual business property tax filings for all locations in accordance with individual county requirements
- Analysis of accounts and recording entries to the book of record
- Acts as liaison to various business units, providing support to management to aid in understanding financial results
- Assist with both internal and external financial audits
- Financial subject matter expert over multiple systems, including those used to manage distribution center inventory including both inbound and outbound data feeds
- Perform other duties as assigned
LOCATION: MODESTO, CA
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Strong fact finding skills
- Knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to develop standards which are consistent with corporate policies and procedures and support federal, state and local legal requirements
- Ability to analyze information
- Ability to deal with complexity
- Ability to analyze results and provide reports
- Strong attention to detail; thorough and complete
- Integrity in all dealings with respect for utmost confidentiality
- Ability to work at an intermediate accounting level; must have a strong understanding of financial statements
- Intermediate computer skills (Excel and Word)
- Proficiency in 10-key and calculation skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced, busy environment
- Ability to multi-task under tight deadlines while maintaining focus and attention to detail
Education: Two-year college degree (or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience)
Experience: Three years of related experience
Other: Occasional Saturday work and overtime is required
Physical: Basic office environment: ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, stoop, use stairs, reach, pull and lift objects
- Customer Focus
- Quality/Quantity of Work
- Ability to work in Team Environment
- Attention to Detail
The Save Mart Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we welcome resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diverse workforce.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles