Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Ontario Branch
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Adult Day Program
On Call: Yes
The Activity Aide provides quality support and care for individuals attending the Adult Day Programs by implementing planned program of activities within the framework of continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), VON philosophy, policies and procedures, standards and applicable legislation.
- Contributes to the development of the service plan for each client attending the Adult Day Program.
- Implements, evaluates and revises service plans on an ongoing basis in collaboration with the family/caregivers and internal team.
- Collaborates with the Recreational Therapist and/or Program Coordinator in planning and implementing social and recreational programs.
- Participates in group activities to stimulate mobility, language, reminiscing, group identity and listening skills of clients.
- Assist clients with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) as required (toileting, personal hygiene, medication assistance.
- Collaborates with the team to identify risk factors and introduce interventions to minimize and eliminate client incidents.
- Ensures safety and security measures for the client, volunteers and staff.
- Utilizes volunteers’ talents and expertise within the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Collaboration with Program Coordinator, Recreation Therapist, RPN, Supervisor and Manager
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Diploma or Certificate from a Community College level program or equivalent in health care, social science or recreation with an emphasis on Gerontology
- Current First Aid and CPR and Food Handler’s certificates required
- Certification with GPA, Montessori an asset
- 1-2 years of recent experience in Adult Day Services or working with groups of clients is an asset.
- Experience in working with adults, especially individuals (and their caregivers), with Alzheimer disease and other cognitive impairments and/or physical disabilities in a social setting a requirement
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good observational skills related to client functioning abilities.
- Awareness of community resources.
- Ability to take direction, as well as to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.